If you would have told us last year what the past few months would look like, we would have never believed you. Here we are at the end of 2020, and like everyone else we have had to adapt how we offer our programs—especially so we can support teachers and students with career exploration while being entirely virtual.
Through partnerships with post-secondary and industry, we reimagined our traditional programming. Our Spotlight on Careers events were turned into a virtual series focusing on a different sector every month, and our Skills Bootcamps, Connected, Safety@Work and employABILITY programs were moved completely online. Transitioning programs to virtual platforms allowed us to keep offering positive experiences for students while sharing relevant industry-related resources with teachers across the province.
There is a ton of new career exploration content on our site for students, teachers, parents, and the community! In case you missed any of it, here are a few of the highlights from the past few months:
- Presentation and Q & A with a Scientist – Dr. Janet Rossant, a world-renowned expert in developmental biology, discusses research in stem cell development and cell differentiation.
- Agriculture & Bioresources Career Panel – Career pathway infromation from: U of S College of Agriculture and Bioresources, Sask Polytech BioScience Technology Program, post-secondary students, and an industry professional.
- How do we develop a vaccine for Covid-19? Dr. Volker Gerdts, Director and CEO of the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization and International Vaccine Center (VIDO-InterVac), shares information about current research and the local pursuit to create a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Engineering Career Panel – Engineering careers in Saskatchewan are highlighted by introducing students to the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Engineering, and five professional engineers from Nutrien and Hatch Ltd.
- Post-Secondary Series – Program heads from Sask Polytech’s School of Mining, Energy and Manufacturing share information about their programs, career paths, and what life as a student is like.
- Doppl Inc. Facility Tour – Tour a local manufacturing facility and use the viewing guide!
- Virtual Scavenger Hunt – Race through local manufacturing facility (virtually) to learn about the inner workings of manufacturing facilities that develop products used all over the world.
- Manufacturing Activities – Teachers can borrow a virtual welder or 3D printer for classroom use.
- Pharmacy Series – Information on careers as a Pharmacist and Pharmacy Tech from U of S, SaskPolytech, a current pharmacy student, and industry professionals.
- Physicians Career Panel – featuring the U of S College of Medicine, medical students, and industry professionals.
- Nursing Career Panel – Career pathway information from the U of S College of Nursing, Sask Polytechnic Practical Nursing Program, the University of Regina SCBScN Program, nursing students, and industry professionals.
As always, keep up to date on our website and socials.
We look forward to working with our partners to offer new events/resources in 2021!